Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wyomingite's, You will have to vote on this in 2012!

I'm excited to introduce you to SJ2. This is a proposed amendment to the Wyoming Constitution. You can read the entire bill here.  It goes a little something like this;

"The adoption of this amendment will provide that the right to make health care decisions is reserved to the citizens of the state of Wyoming. It permits any person to pay and any health care provider to receive direct payment for services.  The amendment permits the legislature to place reasonable and necessary restrictions on health care consistent with the purposes of the Wyoming Constitution and provides that this state shall act to preserve these rights from undue government infringement."

I went to a meeting yesterday and we talked extensively about this amendment and what it means.  The first reason I really liked it; we had two attorneys in the meeting,  and they couldn't say exactly what it meant. They said it was confusing and poorly written.  My response... GOOD! I can't stand attorneys, and if they're confused then I would say this amendment is off to an "excellent start!"

One of my favorite things about this bill is that the primary sponsor is Senator Leslie Nutting from Cheyenne.

I think if you will read the entire bill you'll agree with me that there is nothing "Nutty" about it! In fact I think it is crystal clear and even though my lawyer friends say the language could keep this in front of the courts for years and years, I say, "You did good Senator Nutting!"

While I remember you sitting in the conference committee talking about how to nullify gay marriages and civil unions performed legally in other jurisdictions and you proclaimed "marriage is hard!" I'm so glad health care isn't, and that you were able to nail this one on the head!

In fact I'm inclined to agree with your colleague on the house side Representative Amy Edmonds who said something to the effect that the wording was sheer poetry! I agree!! And who doesn't love a good poem? Here's my favorite.... "roses is red. violets is purple. sugar is sweet and so is maple surple." I'll bet that's one of your favorites too!

Some in our group said your proposed constitutional amendment was a little contradictory in the way you summarize by saying you are protecting us from "undue government infringement." but just above that you say, "the legislature (can) place reasonable and necessary restrictions on health care."  Well I don't care about that either. The amazing insight, direction, and leadership the Wyoming Legislature showed over this last session just reaffirms to me that if my health were in jeopardy, you all are exactly who I would want to be calling the shots on whether I live or die!! After all, you're a retired nurse for God's sake, and I assume if you were in over your head you could call on John Barrasso for guidance.

I agree that health care should be left up to individuals and I sure hate the idea that the new Affordable Care Act would impact Wyoming by;

  • giving coverage to 49,000 Wyoming citizens who currently don't have anything, 
  • would eliminate preexisting coverage riders and exclusions on kids, 
  • would allow adult children to remain on their parent's policies, 
  • end life time maximums and phase out annual limits, 
  • give us the right to appeal decisions we don't agree with, 
  • no copays on preventative services, 
  • and would close the donut hole in Medicare
After all, none of those things affect me personally, so I don't really care! I'm just glad to know that if I screw things up to badly, you'll be there to look after me!

You can count on me being a "YES" vote!

Jeran

5 comments:

  1. OMG! This is absolutely one of your best posts! I am a little concerned the lWyoming legislature will now pass a Constitutional Amendment:

    FREEDOM OF SPEECH
    "the adoption of this amendment will provide the right to make sarcastic blog posts is reserved to the citizens of the state of Wyoming. It permits any blogger to post messages freely. The amendment permits the legislature to place REASONABLE AND NECESSARY RESTRICTIONS on the Freedom of Speech. The Wyoming legislature shall act to preserve these rights .... "

    Soon to be followed by a Statute:
    W.S. OU-812 -- Blog Posts shall not use the word "Whackadoodle," "Nutty," or "Surple." Further, blogs shall not encourage or promote dissension towards any GOP legislator or candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jeran. Who's the retired nurse, Nutting or Edmonds? I can't believe that any nurse, retired or otherwise, would countenance a lamebrain resolution such as SJ2. But we also have a physician in the U.S. Senate (Barrasso) who trashes th Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid at every opportunity and believes that Wyoming law should trump U.S. law. It's only a matter of time before he calls for secession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeran,

    You're a hoot! In another post you said; “I've always said equality is not an issue of Republican vs Democrat, it is an issue of Right vs Wrong!” Then in this post you chose to take personal shots at legislators concerning the most partisan piece of legislation to be forced on America in the history of our two party system.

    This begs a series of questions not the least of which is; which is it, party politics or impartiality?

    ReplyDelete
  4. MSmith, thank you for weighing in! your comparing apples and oranges. when I say right vs wrong I'm talking about marriage equality, and we won those key votes in this last legislative session thanks to our Republican friends.

    This blog post was about health care, and many would disagree with you that this is the most "partisan piece of legislation.." I do recall a little piece of legislation that resulted in "Medicare" ...ahhh, but that isn't convenient to talk about when it comes to health care, because people don't think of that as government mandated coverage; but just try and "opt out" of the entire program, it's not optional!

    I've never hidden the fact that I was a Democrat, and I will gladly play politics with you all day long on Repub v Dem, but marriage equality is something that affects me personally and is extremely discriminatory and hateful!

    I will continue to speak my mind and these two ladies are wrong!! In fact they are wrong on almost all the issues that represent Wyoming and Wyoming citizens. It just so happens they are wrong on marriage equality and they are also on the wrong side of the health care debate!

    Jeran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeran,

    Thanks for the welcome! I’m not sure why my avatar isn’t working. I’ll check in to that this evening if I get time.

    The voting record supports the fact that “Obama Care” or Affordable Healthcare Act is the most partisan piece of legislation in history. No other legislation was advanced with the vote of only one party at the exclusion of the other party.

    That “us against them” approach is clearly the issue you advance here in this post then turn in the following post and then claim that isn’t you method.

    On marriage we all have the same right, which is to marry someone of the opposite gender. That is indeed equitable to all under the law. Don’t forget we were founded and framed as a nation of laws. Shall we throw them all out because those laws? Laws obviously impede equality as you have chosen to define and interpret it.

    Thanks,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete