Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taking the high road!

Three years ago, before I came out to everyone, I had confided in a few very close friends and family members about what I was going to do. One of my closest friends, or so I thought at the time, said “Personally I have no problem with it, just don’t hit on my husband.” Obviously she thought because I was gay I was attracted to anyone that had a penis. I wanted to say, “don’t worry I’m not into fat, old perverts like you are,” but I didn’t. Instead I replied, “That won’t be a problem.”

I don’t know why that conversation bugged me so badly, but it still does. I was reminded of it yesterday when I sent them a note of “you’re in my thoughts,” because I know they are going through a rough patch in their personal lives. Sometimes it’s difficult to take the high road.

This morning I got a “forward” email from a family member. I’ve seen dozens of these.  This was a power point slide show on liberal vs. conservative. The email went on and on about how liberals are a bunch of girly men that don’t want to work but rather take away from successful people and give to the lazy. You know, I’ve seen so many of these they don’t even hardly faze me anymore.

This one did however, since it came from a family member who knows how liberal my viewpoints are, and also knows how hard I’ve worked for issues that I’m passionate about. I had also just bought them tickets to come see my play. I didn’t get a thank you note, phone call, or text. I guess this was their way of saying thank you. Again…. I did nothing, and I’ll be pleasant the next time we cross paths at a family function. I always try and remember you can pick your friends but you can’t pick your family.

Recently the whole “birth certificate” thing has come up again about President Obama. Due in large part to the rantings of Mr. combover himself Donald Trump. Many are asking, “Why doesn’t Obama just show the damn thing to shut these critics up?” Again, taking the high road is not easy.


I have no doubt Obama could produce his birth certificate if he choose to do so, and I admire his taking the high road. For me it would be so tempting to crank it out and call my opponents a bunch of ill informed, ignorant, hypocrites; but sometimes you give your opponents a soap box and enough rope and watch them hang themselves.

It’s hard for me to keep my mouth shut, especially as someone who is extremely opinionated and loves to debate. However sometimes the best thing we can do is to follow Grandma’s advice and remember, “If you don’t have anything nice to say about someone, don’t say anything at all!”

Jeran

4 comments:

  1. Great post Jeran. But I gotta say, I am so sick of hearing about party lines. Personally, the only thing I hate worse than a republican politician is a democratic one. But not by much.

    Party lines are stupid. It should be about doing what's right, not about advancing the goals of a party. Conservative, liberal, are all just ways of saying extremist democrat/republican. And I think extremist is wrong.

    Just to let you know, I think you are in the right. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh, most of this should be viewed as right vs wrong! extremism at any level is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeran,
    I have seen copies of Obama's birth certificate many times. Just google it. I think the larger question is why did noone ask to see George Bush's or Bill Clinton's etc. etc. The only reason I can think of is because of Obama's skin color.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete