Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Got your pink on?

Today is “Day of Pink” a friend over at UW told me about it. Here’s what it's about, “a day against bullying, discrimination and homophobia in schools and communities. Everyone is invited to celebrate diversity by wearing a pink shirt and by organizing activities in their workplaces, organizations, communities and schools.”

I’m all in! Of course every day we celebrate diversity at my house :)

Speaking of pink here’s the hubbub of the day;



This is J Crew’s president Jenna Lyons painting her sons toenails pink. This was featured in the new J Crew Catalog with a caption that reads “Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink. Toenail painting is way more fun in neon.”

Now we have a public outcry that J Crew is trying to turn Americas’ kids gay! Dr. Keith Ablow of Fox News stated, “Yeah, well, it may be fun and games now, Jenna, but at least put some money aside for psychotherapy for the kid-and maybe a little for others who'll be affected by your "innocent" pleasure.”

Dr Ablow, I’ve got some very bad news for you! If wearing pink makes you gay or means you need psychotherapy here are a few people that need immediate attention;



Commentator Erin Brown of the right-leaning Media Research Center went so far as to call the ad "blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children."  She also accused J. Crew of exploiting Lyons' son for its liberal agenda.

Really??   Here’s what psychiatrist Jack Drescher told ABC news;

“Most research on gender identity and sexual orientation concludes that neither is a choice. Nor can they be shaped by a parent's wishes.”

Drescher, who wrote the 2010 paper, "Queer Diagnoses," which was published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, serves on the American Psychiatric Association's committee that is addressing sexual and gender identity disorder for the DSM-V. DSM-V is psychiatry's encyclopedia of behavioral diagnoses.

"I can say with 100 percent certainty that a mother painting her children's toe nails pink does not cause transgenderism or homosexuality or anything else that people who are social conservatives would worry about," he said.

Personally I love this picture and I see it as nothing more than a very special moment between a mother and her son. This will not turn the child gay or transgendered, just like forcing me to play sports in junior and high school didn’t make me turn out straight. Sorry Dad! I love you anyway and I know you love me too.

Jeran

2 comments:

  1. What I want to know is when did pink become a girl/gay colour? Is there a boy colour? I mean, I like colours, so I'm sure I'm guilty of wearing a boy colour. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has a friend who freaked out when we gave him a pink canteen! He said he wouldn't drink out of it if he was dying. (Because you can catch the gay from using pink things, of course.) He's so sensitive about "gay" things that I just have to bait him. Next, I'm going to buy him some pink panties...

    ReplyDelete