Friday, April 22, 2011

An open letter to state legislators in Tennessee

( A letter responding to this insanity, known as the Tennessee "Don't Say Gay Bill.")



Do you think that by pretending we don't exist you can make us go away?

We are coming! We are coming like the stars! We are coming with a message of love, tolerance, understanding and acceptance! We are coming with future city council members and mayors. We are coming with future state and federal legislators, and we are coming with future presidents.

You can not make my voice go away! You can't take away my blog, you can't take away my facebook page, you can't take away my boyfriend, and you can't take away my friends and family whom all love me unconditionally!  In fact you have made me stronger! You have made my voice louder and I will continue to shout!

I don't understand the hate you have in your heart! I can assure you that refusing to allow your schools to talk about people like me will force good people to live a lie.  You will spread a message of ignorance and bigotry. Some of your citizens may even feel so desperate and isolated that they will take their own lives.

You may win this battle and you may win a few more battles along the way, but I promise you with every fiber of my being that we will win this war!!

Sincerely,
Jeran Artery
Activist and Advocate

Here is the bill.  Meet Senator Stacey Campfield who introduced it on the senate side; and this is Rep.Bill Dunn who has introduced it on the house side. These links contain all of their contact information. Feel free to drop them a note!

No comments:

Post a Comment