Monday, September 12, 2011

breaking down my stereotypes

I love meeting remarkable people!

I met this woman, Dorothy, yesterday at Cheyenne Interfaith's 9/11 memorial service at the Wyoming State Capital. I must admit that I was shocked to see an elderly woman wearing a rainbow "Diversity" pin.

Even though I would like to say that I don't lump people into categories or form my own stereotype's; I would be lying if I said that I didn't ignore seniors, as a group, when it comes to advancing the LGTB Equality Movement. 

I figured they were all "set in their ways" and holding on to their bigoted views of marriage. SHAME ON ME!!

I was able to visit with my good friend, Rodger McDaniel, who writes the blog Blowing in the Wyoming Wind, and he cautioned me about being so quick to judge. He said many times after he delivers a sermon or speaks out on equality he will have seniors come up and thank him for his message of love and tolerance. Wow! Who knew?

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday, and I'm grateful for the enlightenment! You'd think of all people, I'd be the last to try and lump another group into a small narrow box. I'm a work in progress; and would like to think that my tiny brain was expanded just a little bit yesterday! Thank you Dorothy!



Jeran

No comments:

Post a Comment