Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Are you dancing this season?

I shouldn't be surprised that after announcing Chaz Bono was going to be joining "Dancing With the Stars" the hate group American Family Association is pitching a hissy fit! By the way, (after you watch the clip) don't confuse One Million Moms with a fine upstanding group of loving caring mothers, they are a division of the American Family Association.

Anyway, I don't thinks kids are going to be confused about anything when they see Chaz dancing; and it certainly isn't going to magically turn any of them transgendered simply from just watching. Here we have scare tactics in play, once again, from this group that Southern Poverty Law Center lists as a hate group.

I always want to ask these "moms" why they have so little faith in their children. And by that I mean children are no more likely to become trangendered by learning about or seeing a transgendered person on TV then they are to become Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Tea Party, Communist or any other group after studying politics in school. These kids will form their own opinions as they grow. Are they also worried that their children will become Nazi's after  studying the Holocaust?

As a society we still have so much to learn about issues LGTB people face. I find as a gay man I still run into a ton of misconceptions. When I came out to my grandmother she got this puzzled look on her face and said, "well you look like a big husky man??" I was like, "I am!" She thought that because I was gay I was wishing that I was a woman. Not so!

I have an older friend in another town who's son recently came out. She called me to talk about it and said, "I just wanted to know if he was the man or woman in the relationship, because I don't think I could handle it if he was the woman." I thought to myself, oh honey, you have so much to learn! I encouraged her to sit down with her son, share her concerns, and let him tell her what was going on with his life.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be born in the wrong body with the wrong plumbing. I say cheers and kudos to Chaz Bono for bringing this struggle into the spotlight. I think he has handled this with grace and poise.

I will be watching!


Jeran

No comments:

Post a Comment