Sunday, February 27, 2011

could this nightmare be over tomorrow?

It looks like the vote will come tomorrow on HB74.  Both the house and senate will vote on the compromise made by last weeks conference committee.

So what's the latest? I'm hearing more and more people are hating this bill and for different reasons. I was at the Nellie Tayloe Ross dinner last night and my attorney friends are saying this bill will never fly in its current form because the conference committee really f*#!ed up the language.

My friends at the ACLU say the wording will be a slam dunk for an unconstitutional challenge; and have already started searching for possible plaintiff's.

Legislators are confused as to what this new wording actually says. Who does this include? Who does this exclude? I've learned over the last few weeks.... never assume the legislator you're targeting fully understands the bill. As a lobbyist we must also wear the teacher hat at times.

And of course the LGTB community views it as hateful and extremely discriminatory!

Bottom line; I don't care why you hate it, as long as you hate it! Pick any of the above reasons and contact your legislators and tell them to vote no!!

I hope when the gavel falls on tomorrows session we can finally be done with HB74!! I'm tired of this and I know you are too. However, if this passes and we need to go to the Governor, then that's what we will do!

I look at the make-up of this legislature and can't believe we've come as far as we have! The end is in sight my friends and I like the way it looks!! We need to make this final push to put the "nail in the coffin!"

Jeran

No comments:

Post a Comment