Monday, February 28, 2011

Civil Unions... hmmm

If I hear one more legislator tell me they don't support gay marriage but would be ok with civil unions; I'm probably going to throw up! Even the Cheyenne paper came out with an editorial yesterday saying how civil unions would be peachy. 

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2011/02/27/opinion/staff_editorials/column643.txt

I have mixed emotions about this. I have a handful of gay friends that say this would be a wonderful compromise and a step in the right direction; and I have a handful of friends that won't rest until they can have a full blown marriage to their same sex partner.

I agree with both, (I’m starting to sound like a politician now.) I think civil unions are indeed a step in the right direction; however I also believe as a US Citizen I have the right to get married to my same sex partner should I choose to do so. Personaly I view civil unions as a modern day "seperate but equal" for gay people.

And by the way, what is a civil union anyway? I've heard some people call it a Justice of the Peace style wedding without the pomp and circumstance. I've heard people say it's exactly the same thing as a marriage without the title. Seems to be some confusion about what exactly a civil union would entail.

Rep. Cathy Connolly introduced a civil union bill in this legislative session. Her bill would have given people an opportunity to enter into a civil union and have every single right afforded to straight marriages; however it wouldn't be called a marriage it would simply be called a "civil union." Most states that have granted civil unions have done exactly what Cathy tried to do.

Cathy's bill didn't make it out of the House Judiciary Committee. The WyWatchers were there in all their glory telling the house members this was an evil and deceptive slippery slope and nothing but gay marriage in sheep’s clothing. Even Rep Peasley voted against it; after just saying he would support civil unions on the house floor the day earlier.

So Legislators, give me a break! Don’t tell me this to simply patronize me. You had your chance and failed!

I had a chance to visit with Cathy about this Saturday at the Nellie Tayloe Ross dinner; we had a good chuckle about all the grand standing and Academy Award Winning performances given about civil unions. We agreed another civil union bill might come about next session or more likely the following session. If the Republicans could introduce something, even if the wording were to mirror Cathy's wording, we might possibly stand a chance of this making it to the floor to get voted on.

I will be waiting on pins and needles!

Jeran

No comments:

Post a Comment