Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The best and worst of the DNC

You're running on four hours of sleep. Your brain is on overload. You're star struck. You're missing your loved ones at home. And then you see this....  I didn't just tear up, I cried!


Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm electrified the arena with her convention speech!  She was brilliant and a little zany! The applause, cheering, shouting, and chanting "USA!" was one of the most inspirational rally cries I've ever witnessed!!  Please take seven minutes and watch her speech. I don't think most viewers saw her since she was not in a prime time slot, but she should have been!


This was another highlight. Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland delivered the best line at the convention "If Mitt Romney were Santa Clause he'd fire the reindeer and out source the elves!"


Think a Romney/Ryan ticket has a woman's best interests at heart? Watch Lillie Ledbetters speech. You can view it here.  Watch Cecile Richards speech. You can view it here.

The other big speeches, in case you missed them, are worth a listen too. President Obama knocked it out of the park. I thought Michelle was amazing! Julian Castro was inspiring!  Senator John Kerry whooped some serious Romney ass! But, for me, the best speech was delivered by Bill Cllinton. He made an exceptional case on why our President needs four more years!  When it comes to the economy and deficits his simple word of "arithmetic" really hit home with me. His simple yet eloquent pitch to American voters is something that I think will stick in everyone's mind, and I truly believe he has impacted this election!!

And now for the whack-a-doodle portion of the DNC.  Kit and I had just listened to Michelle Obama at the HRC/Victory Fund luncheon, stepped outside of the Marriott and ran into these winners!

thanks to Matt Baker for the pic!


You know... these kinds of "folks" used to bother me, but they really don't any more. You can't fix stupid!  It's like when I'm lobbying, there are certain legislators I don't even bother talking to, it doesn't matter what you say to them.... THEY DON'T GET IT!!

The anti-abortion protesters were there as well. They were right out side the convention center with  giant eight foot billboards, holding pictures of dead babies. I won't post any pics of them. They were vile.

My friend Ana said she was walking by them and shook her head in disgust.  The protester said "What? Don't like looking at dead babies?" Ana said, "No, I don't like looking at your face!" Protester responds, "Oh, that's right your a Democrat, you like looking at dead babies!"  Ana say's "Ya, I had one for breakfast."

Give me a break! No one like abortions!! My legislative friend Ken said, "When I get asked about it I explain it this way. Suppose you have that gut wrenching discussion with your 15 or 16 year old daughter and you sit down at the dinner table to make some very serious decisions.... who do you want making that decision? Me as a lawmaker? Or you as a family?"

So that's my DNC experience! I hope you enjoyed sharing my journey!  A few more pics from my friends Matt Baker, Billy Montgomery, Kate Wright and Kit Young.






Me and the WY Delegation with Cecile Richards

Kate, Kit, me and Matt with Barney Frank at the Stonewall Democrats Reception.

LGBT Caucuses
The cool table at the Stonewall Democrats Reception

me sitting on the arena floor 


Ken, Kate, and I at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Reception and John Legend Concert.
Ken, Kit, and I Fired Up!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad someone like you from Wheaterville was there! Anytime you want to write somethign for above the fold of Wheaterville, just send it on over lazarus@wheaterville.com
    We need to keep shaking folks awake, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! Thank you for the comment. Would be happy to write a piece for Wheaterville. We will have tons of fodder in the upcoming legislative session, and I believe we are making progress in opening up eyes around the Equality State :)

      Delete