Monday, August 22, 2011

Dance like nobody's watchin'

This weekend my step daughter Holly married her high school sweetheart Ryan. We had a wonderful weekend! I want the people who I love and care about to be happy, so this was indeed a very special weekend.

A couple of things made me sad however. Well, actually I'm not sure if sad is the right word??. Maybe just "motivated" or "fired up" to continue being an activist and speaking out for marriage equality.

Ryan has an aunt, who happens to be a lesbian, and one of the highlights of this weekend, for me, was meeting these two delightful women! They are so much fun to be around and really enriched the entire weekend and wedding experience!

I noticed at the reception they only had danced one dance together.

I asked, "why aren't you gals dancing more? you two look good out there!" I guess I wasn't really shocked by the response but it was.."oh you know, we don't want to offend anyone. We always try and watch that very closely so as to not step on anyone's toes.."

Friends, that is such a crock! Two people who love each other and are in a committed loving relationship should never be afraid to show their affection towards one another! This really made me realize, despite all the gains we've made in the last few years, we still have tons of work to do! Attitudes must keep changing and evolving.

Are we ever going to see a day when a same sex couple feels safe to dance together at any event, other than just a gay bar or pride event?  Can I someday hope to kiss the man of my dreams with a "hi, how was your day kiss," in public without fear of being scoffed at or ridiculed? Dancing and kissing in public are something most straight people probably take for granted.  I ask you the next time you dance with your soul mate or kiss the love of your life, please think about those of us who are afraid of a backlash by doing such everyday normal things with the people we love the most.

A friend of mine said to me, "Jeran, do you suppose if that baptist minister who is accused of being a serial rapist and kidnapper had been there, before the accusations, dancing with young women, anyone would have batted an eye or given it a second thought?" yet when two wonderful people who love each other want to dance together they have to worry about offending a baptist minister!

Ridiculous!! And that is why I will keep fighting and being an advocate! Like I've said before, there are brighter days ahead and I wont stop fighting until I can dance with my soul mate and lover out in public with out any fear or shame!


Jeran

1 comment:

  1. It feels heavenly to dance with someone you love. Sometimes you won't even notice that you're dancing in sync because the feeling is mutual! I hope you still keep on fighting... :)

    ReplyDelete